Saturday 21 May 2011

It pays to be patient

Today's profit/loss: +£9.64

Today was quite a successful trading day. I set out with a target of making £20 from about 30 races but was determined not to rush any trade and just make sensible decisions.

My strike rate today was a fantastic 70.79% from 39 markets traded, including a tennis match that went horribly wrong losing me just -£1.24 (as I do not know the tennis rules!) and I also made a loss of -£5.29 where I tried to use a £50 stake to see how hard it was to put it through the market and try to get a 1 tick profit. It bit me in the arse and I had to close out for a nasty loss.

However using the £50 stake I was prepared I could lose big and I basically accepted the loss before I put the trade in - but oh well, its worth the experience hopefully for things to come!!

Some statistics for today:
Average profit/loss per race: +31p
Strike rate: 70.79%
Number of market wins: 28
Total wins amounted to: +£23.32
Number of market losses: 11
Total losses amounted to: -£11.27 (including the -5.29 mentioned above)
Average winning trade amount: +£83p
Average losing trade amount: -£1.02

I think for my journey so far those stats are quite respectable but for instance the 'average losing trade amount' needs to be smaller than the 'average winning trade amount' but I just need to figure out when to cut my losses quicker for that.

Also today I traded for around 6 hours which got to me and I think fatigue was creeping in. The majority of my losses were later on in the day and I was losing focus and interest at that point. This is something again that I think can only be learnt/developed over time and with more experience so I will not let it bother me for now - I will just have to take it easy.

My stakes were still generally £10 despite the odd £20 flutter and that £50 stake I tried to use. I think I am better off sticking with £10 stakes for a bit longer until I am cutting my losses quicker and see some more profit in the bank before I try and get more out of the markets.

There is still plenty more available to take from the markets without needing to increase my stakes just yet so I will focus on that before risking any more money.

It has been a good day for experience and I think being patient was key to my profit today. The profits were not as big as my previous days but at least my strike rate was good that shows potential.


No comments:

Post a Comment